Friday, January 20, 2012

We don't know...

So my A&P lab teacher talks A LOT and tends to get off topic and throw in a lot of irrelevant information that she says may be used for bonus points on tests/quizzes. (Like did you know in ancient ----* they used to decapitate people for drinking caffeine because they thought it was like cocaine.) * don't remember where or why she even brought that up and I have my doubts that it's even true.* (I get off topic a lot/easily too, so I can't say much, but it's annoying when class ended 5 minutes ago and she's still talking and we didn't even cover most of the stuff that the quiz next week is supposed to be over.)

Anyway, as she was going over some of the basics of the body, she talked a little about the liver, and then mentioned some condition that usually happens to people with MANY health issues- like someone morbidly obese, with hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease, and diabetes. This disease comes on fast and severe and destroys the liver, and usually by the time they figure out what it is, it's too late for a transplant. She said that rarely but sometimes, this happens to someone who is/was otherwise healthy. They'll go to the doctor not feeling too well and a month later be dead. (Fun class, right?)

So then she says, I know it seems like we have the human body all figured out, but there is so much we don't know still. 

And I was thinking, ain't that truth.

Brooke just posted about how hard it is to be pregnant again when she has no answer why her daughter Eliza was born still or what they can do to prevent it. Even though we know that I got sick quickly (and my liver nearly ruptured) and they think it has something to do with the placenta, they have no real idea why or how to treat it besides delivery.And we may have just gotten lucky with Lucas, or maybe the lovenox and aspirin helped, but either way, if I get pregnant again, there's a strong chance I could get sick again but hopefully not super early and maybe not at all. They don't know, so my risk will be the same as it was with Lucas. And that freaking sucks. We can fly people to the freaking moon and make atomic bombs but we can't figure out how to treat/cure/prevent pre-eclampsia. And we can't figure out why babies die in utero, or some in their sleep, but science could get Octomom pregnant with eight babies at one time and save them all. (And I'm not saying that I wish one of octomom's babies had died, I just don't understand how she had 8ish* placentas inside her, yet didn't get pre-eclampsia while my body couldn't even take care of one baby and placenta.) *8ish b/c some of them probably shared placentas*

Anyway, all the stuff we don't know really pisses me off sometimes especially when I look and think about all of the stuff that science can do. (And do not even get me started on my "breast cancer awareness" rant.)

2 comments:

MrsH said...

Yes, well said. I wish we could figure so many things about the human body, and in particular those that ail me...at least I felt relief that with the incompetent cervix there was an obvious solution, and one that worked, but now with the subinvolution of the placental site...another story, another mystery, and lots more discomfort with the not knowing. Not to mention the whole nebulous infertility thing...

Tiffany said...

you are right. it's incredible that even as far as we've come technologically speaking there are still so many questions that go unanswered. it's the same thing with SIDS parents. all SIDS is is a label that says we don't know what happened to your perfectly healthy child. we also have no answers for why our son is no longer here. it is so absolutely devastating when you've lost a child and having no reason for it. :'(

Post a Comment