Sunday, September 2, 2012

29 weeks

I am getting really bad at this. Every time I start to try to blog, Luke wakes up or something else comes up and I get interrupted and never finish and never go back to what I started. But this time I'm going to really try to finish!

29 weeks now (and 3 days). Kick counts are good, when I remember to do them, but usually when I lay on my side and start doing them I fall asleep. I can't do them when Luke is up because he takes me laying somewhere as an invitation to come over and climb all over me. As far as I know, everything is fine. The fabulous part of this is that I have hardly any time to think about all the things that could go wrong or to worry at all, unless I have a doctor's appointment that day or something. The only mildly warning sign I have is my feet keep swelling pretty bad by the end of the day, but I don't think I'm swelling anywhere else, so I'm going to chalk that up as normal. Even my heartburn has been behaving lately. And I don't remember if I mentioned that hallejulah, I passed the 1 hour glucose test so no gestational diabetes for me! I'm still trying to not go crazy on carbs (most of the time), but I'm pretty excited not to have to mess with that diabetes crap, it's such a pain to keep track of your blood sugar all the time and remember to test an hour after every meal, etc. etc.

One of my favorite moments possibly from this entire pregnancy happened last weekend. It was Luke's favorite witching hour, 4 am, and we were in our bed. (Joe got fed up with Luke's bed hogging ways and my paranoia "your blanket is too close to him, move your pillow higher, etc" and had moved to the couch.) I was TRYING my best to sleep while Luke watched Blue's Clues and flopped around everywhere. At one point, Luke was laying with his head at the foot of our bed and his feet resting on my belly. Almost immediately, as soon as he put his feet on my stomach, the baby kicked, right where Luke's feet were, and strong enough that Luke felt it and giggled. It was such a cool moment, even at 4 am. The brothers are already playing together.

We are getting really close to a name. Maybe by the end of the week, even.

We are not at all close to ready for this baby, house-wise. It seems like it shouldn't be "that bad" because we have a 16 month old and all of his baby stuff. It is "that bad" because our living room looks like a mini Toys R Us wannabe. Kangaroo climber? Check. Cozy Coupe? Check. (Yes, we have a cozy coupe in our living room. It was too hot outside for Luke to play with it there and now it's been raining for 3 straight days, the plan is to take it outside though, at least.) Two more ride on cars. Leapfrog table. And lately Luke has been pushing his baby walker around too, right around the time I was going to put it away figuring he'd outgrown it. I am dreading adding a baby swing and everything else to the chaos. We'll definitely have to limit the toys we keep in here, but Luke's room is really small, too. I'm probably going to have to start rotating his toys in and out so some seem "new".  And then there's the baby's room. Luke's room was supposed to be Olivia's room, and it was tough emotionally to get it ready, but it was already pretty much emptied out and not too hard to do. Well, our "spare room" is about to not be so spare. (Although I doubt we'll put the baby in there for awhile.) It's our office/ guest room/ exercise room- complete with a desk, desktop computer, two printers, file cabinet, 8 million books, elliptical, twin bed, wall to floor book shelf, and large dresser. Not to mention it's where we've been throwing all kinds of random crap over the past couple years. Anyway, it is going to be a ton of work. I have no idea where we are going to put all of that stuff (good thing we have a basement, and I'm trying to sell/get rid of a lot of it.) I think we are moving Luke to the twin bed (just going to throw the mattress which is pretty much brand new on the floor b/c otherwise it's too high for him.) He hasn't slept in his crib in a month, anyway. I am seriously contemplating moving Luke to that room and putting the baby in his room. Since the crib is already in Luke's room, it would be easier. Plus that room is a lot bigger than Luke's room, so there would be more room for his toys. The downsides are that I don't want Luke to feel like he's been displaced...I'm not sure how much he would or wouldn't feel displaced given that he's only 16 months and NEVER SLEEPS IN HIS OWN ROOM anyway. The other thing is the wall decals of the giant elephant and tiger and giraffe and monkey in the tree. Luke LOVES them, he goes in there all the time and points at the animals and likes to pat the wall where they are. I mean, he could still do that even if that is the baby's room. We can't move the decals to the other room because only 2 of them are reusable- the tiger and elephant- the tree and monkey, and giraffe, can only be applied once. (And no way will I be able to convince Joe to rebuy the same thing we already have on the wall..they weren't that cheap.) I'm not sure that's a good enough reason not to move him. For now, we just need to worry about getting the room cleared out, anyway.

It is going to be a busy couple of months!

3 comments:

SG said...

Oh my goodness. Pregnancy+toddler sounds super intense. I love that the two boys have interacted already :). Good luck with the rearranging and redecorating. We are still working on that and Ginny is 10 weeks old...

Anonymous said...

I wish I could help with the rooms! (Of course I checked plane tickets!!) Baby kicking Luke is adorable, so adorable! Can't believe how soon the new baby is going to be here!

Kim said...

You have lots to do! I hope it goes smoothly:)

Post a Comment